Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Maple Syrup in a Vinaigrette? Absolutely!



Maple Syrup in a Vinaigrette?  Absolutely!
by Victoria Challancin

I like to think that Life recently just gave me a bottle of Vermont Maple Syrup--out of Its abundance, out of Its generosity. The truth of the matter is that I bought it myself.  And the price tag was shocking.  Was it worth it?  Oh my, yes.

Yes, I dutifully made wholegrain pancakes to accompany the syrup.  Then I tried to think in what other ways I might use this treasure.  Waffles?  Ok. French toast?  Now there is another thought.  And then I remembered that my brother used to make the best, and I mean, the BEST vinaigrette with just a hint of maple syrup.  I had the recipe once upon a time...now I just have taste memories.  So I set out to recreate what I think I remember.  

First of all I assembled a salad:
Finely shredded red and green cabbage
Red onion
Julienned red bell pepper
Cucumber slices
Celery
Cooked beets
Avocado 
Alfalfa sprouts

Why these particular ingredients?  Because they are what I had on hand.

And the vinaigrette...here is what I came up with and it worked perfectly with this sturdy cabbage-based salad.  The balance of acid-oil-and sweetness are up to your own tastes.  This particular balance worked for me--after a little tweaking.

Lemon-Maple Vinaigrette
(Recipe by Victoria Challancin)

3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used thin-skinned Key limes)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (I started with only one tablespoon and then added another)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
1 cup extra-virgen olive oil

Put the first four ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.  Slowly add the oil, whisking until the ingredients are blended.

Enjoy!

Victoria Challancin
Flavors of the Sun International Cooking School
San Miguel de Allende, México


1 comment:

Dimah said...

Mmm! This looks yummy and simple!